Department of Physics
Physics department is one of the largest and oldest departments in Janata Mahavidyalaya Chandrapur established in 1961.The first separate Post Graduate section was introduced in the College in the year 2006.The department has produced a large number of graduate and post graduate students since its establishment. It is a land mark in itself with four dedicated laboratories with smart boards, a capacity of more than 60 students each and with two separate dark rooms. It offers courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The post graduation centre offers Spectroscopy and nanotechnology as elective courses at the PG level. Presently we conduct one division for the PG class and it is on self financed basis. Faculty members are actively involved in the syllabus framing and restructuring at the University level for both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Department has also research facilities. Faculty has applied for guide recognition for the M. Phil. and Ph. D. degrees in Gondwana University Gadchiroli. Two research projects funded by the UGC are completed. Results of the research carried out in the department are published in many international journals, seminars and conferences.
Name of Courses offered
||Skill oriented course
Introduction to Radiotherapy and its applications
All programs are semester and Choice Based Credit System (CBCS)
||Name of faculty
||Dr. K.C. Patil
||HOD, Associate Professor
||Dr. N.R. Baig
- Mr. Deepak Nagapure passed GATE and completed his M.Tech. and Ph.D. from VNIT Nagpur.
- Ms. Shweta Rode, one of our PG students completed her PhD in Physics from RTMNU.
- Mr. Ram Yerojwar, a student of PG Physics passed SET exam.
- Many students have completed PG in physics and have joined as Physics teachers at school, colleges and university level.
- Many students have done M.B.A and M.C.A after graduation in physics and are at very good position in their careers.
Physics department encourages student centric- extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. These help students in developing leadership qualities which are conducted by the students and staff of the department.
Physics Students’ Club
Physics students’ club is a platform which provides opportunity to students to showcase their leadership talent and teamwork and arrange various programs like expert guidance lectures, outreach programs, science exhibition, poster competitions freshers and farewell etc. The club also runs a wallpaper activity, white board activity and Demo sessions.
Science exhibition help students to identify their scientific temper and innovative ideas which they display through models and projects during exhibition. It helps students to explain some complex concepts in Physics in a simple way. This exhibition is open to all college students, staff members as well as students from other colleges.
Co-curricular Activities conducted by the Department
Guest lectures, popular talks, Students’ seminar, Industrial visits for UG students, Study tours for PG students, Science exhibition, SET/NET guidance for PG students, Quizzes, poster competition, brainstorming sessions, projects assignments etc.
|Name of the Course
||Grant-in Aid / Self Financed
||Total Intake Capacity
|B.Sc with Physics
||≈ 120 per year
||22+2 per year
Physics department undertakes research work. Research in Materials Science and ultrasonic characterization of liquid/liquid mixtures is carried out in the department.
- There are two full time teachers in the department who carry out the research work and guide to M.Sc. students for the completion of their projects.
- A well equipped laboratory is available for the FY, SY and TY B. Sc.
- There are separate spacious, well equipped laboratories available for the PG students.
- Research facilities are available in the department.
List of research equipments available in the department
- Digital ultrasonic velocity meter.
- Digital temperature controller.
- Digital viscometer.
- High temperature furnace with temperature controller.
- Muffle Furnace
- Digital balance
- Setup for material preparation
Activities of the department